Bandon Working Together Group
Bandon Working Together Group
You’ve heard a lot about us … well here’s what we’re up to…. Activities, projects and achievements undertaken by the Bandon Working Together Group. THE STORY SO FAR…..
• Publishers of the free ‘WhatsonBandon’ newsletter for 13 months featuring all community activities, clubs and associations, calendar of events and much more.
• Made submissions to Cork County Council for Outline Strategy Plan 2010 – 2020. Anyone who would like to have a copy of this, please contact 086 0304877. Groups submission acknowledged by Cork Co. Co. And will be advised of future consultations and help to publicise if the Whats On Bandon re-prints. (subject to funding) and on Bandon.ie.
• Applied to FAS for employee of a Tourist Office and Community Foundation of Ireland for funding.
• Working in conjunction with Tidy Towns and Bandon Co Marketing Group
• Established contact with all Sports clubs and voluntary organisations in Bandon through the publication of the Whats On newsletter, featuring all their events or activities over the last 13 months.
• Engaged with Bandon Town Council
• Supporting where needed any other Festivals or events, in particular ENGAGE ARTS FEST.
• Members are part of the Bandon Flood Task Force (in conjunction with Cork County Council)
• Presenters of Public meeting on 28th of January 2010 relating to Flood issues.
• Set up new club BANDON WALKING CLUB – 87 members and organising training locally for leader skills course. Club is member of Mountaineering Ireland.
New and upcoming projects:
‘WHERE TO?’ Posters – with Tourist Info. Where to Stay, Eat, Shop, a Calendar of Events, Town History Info, Attractions, Walks, nearby Beaches and a Map. These will be displayed in numerous points around town and in particular provide Empty Window Fillers for premises and shop windows that are at present empty. Project partly funded by Cork County Council. Research and development of project by team members BWT. If you have things to ad please call or emails us, but a.s.a.p. before we go to print. Thanks.
BRIGHTER BANDON LAUNCH – We are asking every premises in Bandon to make a special effort in appearance, with paint, flowers and window displays. After the recent challenges Bandon has faced, it’s time to re-launch a Brighter and Better Bandon The Bandon Working Together Group is currently organising a project to re-launch the ‘new-look’ Bandon. Public area displays and cleaning of town signage and contacting all derelict sites owners has already begun, in particular to date, at the entrances to town.
BANDON EMAIL LISTING: Helping to create a business email database
BANDON FLOOD ALERT MOBILE NUMBER DATABASE: Helping to create a database of mobile phone numbers for contact in case of future flooding.
BANDON BUSINESS DATABASE: Helping to create an updated Bandon business listing
B.W.T Group – Background History of the team
BANDON WORKING TOGETHER GROUP WAS SET UP IN 2008 BY Suzanne Reidy Murphy and Orla O’Donovan as a voluntary group with a view to making a difference in the community during the recession by bringing together representation from the main pre- existing groups (not all) and acting as an umbrella group to improve communication on work or projects being carried out in the town.
Initially, members included the town Mayor, members of Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Soroptimists, www.bandon .ie , Community Guard, Neighbourhood watch, Traders, Sports clubs, Teachers and Engage Arts Festival.
Approaches were made to many more groups, including Red Cross, other Festival organisers, including Music and Bandon Show, some have been involved and some have come and gone for reasons of study or other new involvements.
Members of the team include or have included: (Plus related activities)
Anne Duffy and Vivienne Fogarty Music, Arts and Entertainment
Carol Daly Music and Walking routes
George Ferguson Walking routes/ rural community
Catherine Fitzmaurice Tidy Towns, Sorop’s
Rose Holland Deerpark Family Centre, Town Council
Helen Hourihan Teacher and Walking Club
Garda James O’Donovan Community Guard
Mark Keohane Neighborhood watch
Liz Twomey, Hilary O’Farrell Traders and Co-Marketing Group
Vikki O’Farrell Trader and Business development
Veronica Neville Chamber of Commerce, Co. Councillor.
Robert Merrick Rotary
Suzanne R. Murphy Soroptimists, BWTog. Walking Club/Flood Task F
Frank O’Driscoll Sports Club contact for Whats On. (now excluded for study reasons)
Orla O’Donovan Trader, Co Marketing and West Cork Leader contact
Trevor Collins Bandon maps, www.bandon.ie, BandonW.Tog. and Whats On.
Tara O’Donoghue Transition Town Bandon
Siobhan Zuk History – Bandon info.
Mary Weidle Trader, connecting to alternative and holistic areas
Gearoid Buckley Business development & Town Council
BANDON WORKING TOGETHER
INCORPORATING ALL ASPECTS OF OUR COMMUNITY:
THE FOLLOWING SEGMENT WAS INCLUDED IN THE ISSUE OF WHATS ON EACH MONTH
“Would you like to have an input??? … be it an idea or your time, from individuals or groups, sports clubs or associations, we would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like us to promote for free a charitable activity / service that takes place in the general Bandon area, please highlight the nature of the event, the times and dates of each event and finally a contact name and telephone number. You can contact us by: (preferably by email!) “
email: email@example.com Telephone: 086 0304877
An electronic Whats on Bandon and more updates will be regularly posted on the blog section of the www.bandon.ie website and other local media sources.
• Are you interested in getting involved? Can you make a difference?
• Do you have an idea to make an even better Bandon?
• If you have free time, have an interest in our town and would like to get involved in community activities.
• We’d love to hear from you! Email or call…..